Saturday, December 1, 2012

From Shame To Salvation


From Shame To Salvation

I haven't always been a Jesus freak. Back in the day I was the farthest thing from being like Jesus. I've done some despicable things in my life and hurt many people as well as myself. I really didn't get who Jesus was or what this Christian "stuff" was all about. It sounded so restrictive and boring. Now, how I wish I'd known better.

I remember the stealing, alcohol abuse, drug use and violence. I recall the faces of the women I slept with and the dirty images I filtered through my eyes. My level of caring was calloused and I never hesitated to disrespect those who I didn't agree with. Me being me was my claim to fame. Now i look back, all is feel is shame.

What gave me the right to use and abuse others? Even if I thought they deserved it; who was I to become their judge and jury? Even as i pretended to pursue Jesus, I was only still chasing my own lust. In my disturbed way of thinking, I believed that if I took on the "Christian" label, I could continue sleeping with a girl who realized she wanted to get right with God.

God in His grace, led my gently by the hand to true salvation. He forgave me and gave me a new heart, a new attitude. The amazing thing was that i didn't have to try as hard as I thought. He changed me! From the inside out, He made me a new creation. It may sound corny, but I know that I am not who I used to be.

How do you repay someone who has impacted your life so positively in so many ways? Strive to be even more like Him! I'm sure those who used to know the old me appreciate the change. Now I meditate on His words of wisdom and how I can please Him and look out for others. I am no longer held hostage by the feeling of being insignificant or powerless. I don't feel the need to make myself look bigger or smarter than I am to please others. My eyes are fixed on Him alone.

What a weight that has been lifted off my shoulders! What are you carrying around with you? How many people in your life are you trying to please? Look right, act right, have the right stuff, right job, right car, right life! The list goes on and on into infinity! Sad thing is; it's never ending. There is always someone else to please or something that needs to be replaced to keep your status up.

Jesus is the one who set me free. That's why I'm a Jesus Freak!

No comments:

Post a Comment